Sunday 16 June 2013

DOUBLE FANTASY


DOUBLE FANTASY : After a five years hiatus, this was the great John Lennon's comeback album. The whole world was excited. I was excited. But there was a price Yoko was to be on it. Whether or not you like her, you have to have her when you buy this album. That's how John was. He never compromise when it came to the woman he loves. Incidentally, that's one of the reason I like John Lennon. Seriously, the album or at least John's songs were good. I haven't had so much joy listening to any of his albums since "Imagine". And surprisingly, Yoko was not too bad either. There were some songs of her that I quite enjoyed. Still, this was a hard album to listen to, not because of the music but because of the events that came to pass. John's much anticipated comeback album became his farewell album. It won the album of the year for 1981. Much as I love John Lennon and much as I love this album, I can't help thinking that that was a sympathetic win. If John have not been killed, he would have never have won this award. Great the album may be but it is still only half a John Lennon's album. The other half being Yoko which in my opinion would never ever have won anything in any field had John being alive. Still, I am happy for John that they have decide to give him an award as a tribute for his memory.

( Just Like ) Starting Over ( Lennon ) : With bells tolling much like 'Mother' from his debut album "John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band", this was one happy tune to starts off the album. With a chord change that's reminiscent of 'Don't Let Me Down', this was the album's first single and deservedly so.

Kiss, Kiss, Kiss ( Ono ) : Yoko's takes on punk even before punk was invented. This fast paced but rather short number is quite enjoyable but you'll have to tone down the volume towards the end 'cos of Yoko's mimicking her love making sound that could be quite embarrassing to the neighbors.

Cleanup Time ( Lennon ) : John never sounded happier here. Almost a lesser tune here due to the high quality songs found here. The later version on "Double Fantasy Stripped Down" turned this into a classic.

Give Me Something ( Ono ) : Yoko again in punk mood. Before you realise what was going on, the song was over. Listenable.

I'm Losing You ( Lennon ) : John in self pitying mood although the mood is joyous. The video of this song is interesting. I like this song more after watching the video.

I'm Moving On ( Ono ) : John's 'I'm Losing You' segued into this track effortlessly and it seems to naturally.

Beautiful Boy [ Darling Boy ] ( Lennon ) : John's ode to his son, Sean and it shows him at his most tender. I loved this and I used to sing this to my growing son. Richard Drefdruss's bad singing coupled with sign language of this song in the movie 'Mr. Holland's Opus" endeared it even more to me.

Watching The Wheels ( Lennon ) : Another gem from John telling the world what's he have been up to the last five the best way he know how.

Yes, I'm Your Angel ( Ono ) : I quite like this almost child like singing from Yoko. Quite disarming on first hearing but I like it.

Woman ( Lennon ) : The most Beatles sounding track from the album according to John. This one like 'Stand By Me' captivated me the first time I was testing the record at the store. Though I heard it only the first time, the tune just won't go away. John's last great ballad.

Beautiful Boys ( Ono ) : This is the weakest track on the album. If not for the beautiful Spanish styled guitar plucking in the middle, I would not have tolerate this track.

Dear Yoko ( Lennon ) : John's playful love song to Yoko. Sang in the infectious way not unlike his earlier 'Oh Yoko' together with Buddy Holly's like hiccough, this is one fun track.

Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him ( Ono ) : One of the best Yoko's track on the album. The guitar playing is infectious and awesome. You can hardly keep still while listening to this.

Hard Times Are Over ( Ono ) : The closing track on the original album. Bad only for the more superior tunes on board and weary on hearing two Yoko's songs in a row. Otherwise, it's quite listenable.

BONUS TRACKS :

Help Me To Help Myself ( Lennon ) : This was one of the outtakes not included on the original albums. A soul baring vocal from John that's not a bad song to add to your collection.

Walking On Thin Ice ( Ono ) : The song that John and Yoko was working on the night he was shot. This was the most acceptable Yoko's song that was released. It was a disco hit and was quite well receive. I find it not as good as some of the disco music around.

Central Park Stroll [ Dialogue ] :As the title implied, John and Yoko conversing with each other. A short snippets of this is tolerable but not when they made it into a whole album.

No comments:

Post a Comment