Sunday 16 June 2013

MIND GAMES


MIND GAME : 1973 was a great year for Beatles fans around the world. Each of the Beatles released an album with Paul McCartney leading the pack with the smash "Band On The Run", just a few months after the fine "Red Rose Speedway", George Harrison's "Living In The Material" and Ringo Starr's "Ringo" I remember the local paper running an advertisements featuring all the four albums simultaneously. Ironically, John's "Mind Game" was the weakest among the four. It was around this time that John was having problem with Yoko and I guess it affected him somewhat. I've bought the 3 albums but not John's due to the bad reviews. I only got to listen to this when I finally got it on CD, and frankly speaking, I wasn't really missing much, After the disastrous reception to his last album "Sometime In New Yorke City", this should have been a great album, but it wasn't. Not a total write off but not a great offering either, from someone whom we have come to expect nothing less.

Mind Game ( Lennon ) : This title track remained the best track on this CD. An instant classic, it was suggested that it could have been greater still, had John changed its title as originally intended to
, "Make Love Not War" but John decided otherwise. Anyway, this track was included in every John's greatest hit collection which made this CD quite irrelevant to most people except completist like me. I find the structure of this song not unlike his other Beatles' song "Rain", or is it just me.

Tight A$ ( Lennon ) : This was one of the better track on this album. A fast tempo number, it was John as we loved him doing straight forward rock 'n' roll.

Aisumasen [ I'm Sorry ] ( Lennon ) : A rather sorry excuse for a song. This was a far cry from his other classic not too long ago 'Jealous Guy'.from the "Imagine" album. Feeble and weak, it pained me much more to see John reduced to this than it is to listen to this.

One Day At A Time ( Lennon ) : Only slightly better than 'Aisumasen [ I'm Sorry ]' this one have John trying on his falsetto voice which doesn't work at all. Thankfully, this was the first and only time he attempted this. Elton John thought enough of this song though, to record his version of it.

Bring On The Lucie [Freeda Peeple ] ( Lennon ) : Another uptempo track, this was the John that we've known and loved. A solid rock 'n roll song that we all knew that John was capable of. I remember listening to the alternate version of this song on "The John Lennon Anthology". I was rather sleepy and wasn't really paying much attention. When this song came on, I was jotted out of slumber land. Yeah it was John in top form.

Nutopian International Anthem ( Lennon ) : As was in line with John's sense of humour, a 3 second silence and nothingness of this track.

Out The Blue ( Lennon ) : An average track from an extraordinary man and an extraordinary musician and song writer.

Only People ( Lennon ) : Slightly up tempo number that is just passable. I wouldn't put it in my cellphone though.

I Know [ I Know ] ( Lennon ) : Finally, nearing the end of the album, we come to this true gem. Displaying his vulnerability and his great song writing skill, this one should be right up there with his classics, but I guess it being in a rather lukewarm album, does downplay it's beauty. If it had been on "Imagine", it would certainly have been better known. Things being as it is, this one remained a lost gem for most casual fans.

You Are Here ( Lennon ) : A worthy track with its pedal steeled guitar that does reminds you of  vacationing in Hawaii.

Meat City ( Lennon ) : Of the three rockers here, this one is the weakest. Melody wise it was nothing to shout home about. It pained me greatly to say it but it seems during this time, all John have going for him was his great vocal. Most of the time, it's the materials that failed him, not his voice.

DOP : 1st January 2000.






















No comments:

Post a Comment