Sunday 16 June 2013

DOUBLE FANTASY / STRIPPED DOWN


DOUBLE FANTASY / STRIPPED DOWN : I've already have this album. They should have issued a separate CD for this stripped down version for die hard fans like me instead of a double CD, so that we don't have to buy another CD with the same songs that we've already have. They should have been more considerate to their fans. Still, I found a way around this problem. I got a friend to buy this album for me in return for me giving him heaps of old music magazines that have a treasure doves of Beatles and Beatles related articles with pictures to boot. He was please as punch and so was I. We both got what we wanted..
The original Double Fantasy album

DISC 1 : STRIPPED DOWN 

[ Just Like } Starting Over ( Lennon ) : Stripped to the bone, even the tolling of the bells is edited out, the female backing as well.  This one have John's great vocal out prominently and it's arguably sounded better than the original.

Kiss, Kiss, Kiss ( Ono ) : I've quite like this Yoko's number. The original version that is. Fresh and exciting when I first heard it. This new editing cuts out the excitement and intensity and the organisms vocal of Yoko which was always a great kick for me. Replaced by Yoko's signature singing which others may call screaming. The original was way better and more shocking.

Clean Up Time ( Lennon ) : This was the real surprise here. Heard only as a minor or even a filler track on the original album, and one that I usually skipped, the editing here turns this into a major track. One of the highlights here.

Give Me Something ( Ono ) : Not much different from the original.

I'm Losing You ( Lennon ) : Most musicians would lose an arm to be able to come up with something like this but for John's standard, this is just a throwaway. Probably the posh production saved it. Don't really know how to make of this track, I certainly don't hate it but I won't put it in my hand phone either.

I'm Moving On ( Ono ) : The original have this song auger into 'I'm Losing You' which somehow have some appeal on me but this new version have this as a stand alone song. Other than this, nothing really major here.

Beautiful Boy [ Darling Boy ] ( Lennon ) : Still the same beautiful song. Edition or no edition. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful song..

Watching The Wheels ( Lennon ) : Nothing much different on this great piece.

Yes, I'm Your Angel ( Ono ) : Nothing much different here either. I think Yoko needn't do any edition to her songs 'cos I seriously doubt there's anybody who would be interested. There's just not that many people like me out there.

Woman ( Lennon ) : The last big ballad from John. Stripped away the female backing and bring his vocal to the forth, you just can't not love this song. As John himself have stated, this was the most Beatles sounding song on the album.

Beautiful Boys ( Ono ) : The weakest track on the whole album. Made tolerable with the gorgeous Spanish instrumental bridge. Same as the original or at least to my ear.

Dear Yoko ( Lennon ) : John's ode to his Lady Love sounds less playful than the original and not much different from the anthology version too.

Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him ( Ono ) : Just as John's 'Clean Up Time' was the surprise gem found here, this was the disappointment here. On the original version, this track was one of the highlights for me. The guitar riff was just awesome but here the tempo was slowed down and the guitar riff edited off. So there's nothing else left out of this song. Skip.

Hard Times Are Over ( Ono ) : Not really a bad track but I usually skipped this track 'cos I just can't listen to two Yoko's songs in a row. Apart from John's chattering now and then, this one is not much different from the original either.

DISC 2 : ORIGINAL ALBUM : Refers to "Double Fantasy" album.

DOP : 6th November 2010. An exchange from my Beatles fanatic, Mr. Tai.







No comments:

Post a Comment