Sunday 16 June 2013

PLASTIC ONO BAND


PLASTIC ONE BAND : I didn't really feel the real impact for this album 'cos I only got it a few years since it came out. During this time, I was still dependable on my elder brother for music. His favorite was Paul McCartney, and for some reasons, he skipped on this. I bought this first on record. Prior to this my brother bought home a copy of  'The Wedding Album" and well, what can I say, it was an extension version of 'Revolution 9' from "The White Album"  and I was then rather caution of any product by John. Needless to say, my fear was unfounded. This album reinforced John Lennon's reputation and reassured one and all that the once chief beatle still have it in him. Generally considered one of John's finest album by fans and critics alike, it was ranked fourth on The Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Mother ( Lennon ) : Started out with morbid bells tolling, this was one of my all time favourite John Lennon solo track. I remember going to all the stores in town looking for this single. Each and everyday I would be asking the store keeper the same question and the answer would always be the same. Not yet arrived. In the end I didn't manage to get the single until I got this album. My version of this song and 'Don't Let Me Down' during my Hash House Harriet days earned me the nickname of John Lanun.

Hold On ( Lennon ) : A sweet but rather short love song to himself, his woman and finally to the world. This is the kind of short little ditty that I use to place at the end of the last song on those cassettes that I  records for my friends.

I Found Out  ( Lennon ): A rocking number that lashed out at those traitorous friends who brother, brother, brother , brother him when it suits them. Even Bob Dylan couldn't get away with lyrics like ' Some of you sitting there with your cock in your hand'  Totally mind blowing and enjoyable.

Working Class Hero ( Lennon ) : This song was loved by the critics and fans alike but somehow I am not too taken by this one. A little too low key for me. This song incidentally contained the first time anyone uses any swear word on any popular songs in the world and also the second one in the album.

Isolation ( Lennon ) : Didn't like this on first hearing. As with most work of art, and subsequent listening, it grew on me and now it's one of my favourite track.

Remember ( Lennon ) : Quite a lesser track compared to the Rolls Royce standards of the other songs here. Only memorable thing here was the constant piano throbbing.

Love ( Lennon ): First heard this from The Lettermen and I have to admit I like their version more, which is not to say that John's original was bad. On the contrary, it was one of John's best and most tender ballad. Right up there with his Beatles' work. Matter of preferences. My brother couldn't believe this soft piece could come from the devil-may-care rock 'n' roller John.

Well. Well. Well ( Lennon ) : Rock 'n' Roll as only John could. A solid track that even my little daughter loves. I use to make up words with her in the lyrics and she would do the same.

Look At Me ( Lennon ) : A softer guitar plucking track in the mould of 'Julia'. If this doesn't move you, you have no business listening to this album in the first place. Go back to The Beatles.

God ( Lennon ) : The centrepiece of one of the greatest album of all time. I could never get tired of this track. I enjoyed it much more than 'A Day In The Life' from 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. The master stroke was the slight delay after he sang ' I don't believe in Beatles'. You could hear a pin drop. Still brings a chill to my spine.

My Mummy's Dead ( Lennon ) : A short few seconds is more than sufficient to close this brilliant album. Any longer would reduce the shock value. A grown man crying for his mother. Who else but John could have dare to sing it like this.

DOP : 11th December 1999.













No comments:

Post a Comment