Sunday 16 June 2013

IMAGINE


IMAGINE : The first album I've ever bought just have to be by The Beatles or anyone of the guys. I first heard this album from the cassette in my brother's car. The song 'Imagine' was everywhere. One of my brother who have never ever had any piano lesson even learnt to play 'Imagine' on the piano. The initial album came with a postcard size photo of John holding a pig by the ears to Paul McCartney's earlier album "Ram" where he was holding the horn of a ram. John and Paul certainly weren't the best of friends during this time. Anyway, I loved this album to death. One of my brother's friends did too and borrowed the album from me. He returned it a few days later minus the postcard picture. What could a 12 years old kid do but to look up above at the sky with tears rolling down his cheek.......

Imagine ( Lennon ) : The mother of all peace anthem. John Lennon was a master at  writing anthems and this was one of his very best and one that he will forever be remembered by, which I sometimes think is a shame 'cos there are literally hundreds of equally good John Lennon's songs out there..In my honest opinion, no one can do a better version of this song. Like his Beatles song 'In My Life', this was note to note perfection.

Cripped Inside ( Lennon ) : An uptempo track that shows John at his most playful. Said to be a dig at Paul, it was nevertheless a great track.

Jealous Guy ( Lennon ) : The second most popular track here after 'Imagine'. This song started life as a Beatles song as 'Child Of Nature', a somewhat companion piece to Paul's 'Mother Nature's Son'. Somehow Paul's made the cut and John didn't which brings us to this version. When John was murdered, Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music gave a stirring heart wrenching tribute to John with this song.

It's So Hard ( Lennon ) : Initially I don't like this song but like most thing Beatles, it grew on me. Now one of my favourite on this album. A great bluesy number.

I Don't Want To Be A Soldier Mama ( Lennon ) : This one I don't like at all. If it have been trimmed down a bit, it would have been a lot more tolerable but at more than 7 minutes long chanting the same things over and over, even John Lennon I could not take.

The missing postcard
Gimmie Some Truth ( Lennon ) : Another song that I grew to like through the years. A delicious mud slinging, angry name calling ranting of a song that only the great John Lennon can come up with. The unlucky recipient of this song was Richard Nixon.

Oh My Love ( Lennon / Ono ) : A beautiful, beautiful love song that could stir the soul. Incredibly yet again I don't like this song initially. Partly it was due to my impatience in listening to the next song 'How Do You Sleep' that I tends to overlook this masterpiece. Much like 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' that was place right before 'Happiness Is A Warm Gun'. Still in the end, all wells that ends well. I loved both songs.

How Do You Sleep ( Lennon ) : The main tropic of discussion of this album. Other than the downright straight forward no hold character assassination on his one time good friend Paul McCartney, this is one solid track. The backing, the singing are all top notched and George Harrison playing guitar on it doesn't hurt either. As good as any Beatles songs.

How ( Lennon ) : John showing his self doubting and reflective side. Coming after the stirring 'How Do You Sleep' is quite a task but this is another good track. I've always like this song.

Oh Yoko ( Lennon )  : Funny how the critics keep raving about this song, even going as far as lamenting why it was not released as a single. Melody wise it's not too bad but the lyrics is nothing to shout about and a bit too long at that. Still a nice way to end a great album.

DOP : 24th October 2000.






No comments:

Post a Comment